Roast Leg of Lamb with Rosemary Potatoes
Here's a classic Leg of Lamb roast recipe from the Great Meat Cookbook by Bruce Aidells! This Easter special takes advantage of a unique blend of Mediterranean flavours, while the simple-yet-savoury potatoes accentuate the rosemary and herb blend beautifully. This is the recipe for an unforgettable Easter dinner!
Write a review
1 hr 40 min
1 hr 55 min
1 hr 40 min
1 hr 55 min
- 1 x 6-8 lb Local Leg of Lamb (whole)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup rosemary leaves
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 coarse sea salt
- 1 freshly ground black pepper
- Pound garlic with salt in a mortar with a pestle, or pulse in small food processor until it forms a paste.
- Add lemon zest, rosemary and pound or process, about 1 minute.
- Stir in pepper, lemon juice and oil to make soft, spreadable paste.
- Place lamb, fat side up, on work surface; cut shallow diagonal gashes across the fat, about ½ inch (1 cm) apart.
- Coat the top of the lamb with the rub, working some into gashes.
- Rub some onto ends and underside of lamb.
- Wrap lamb in plastic wrap and refrigerate, preferably overnight, for up to 24 hours.
- Remove lamb from refrigerator, unwrap and let sit for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C) with rack in the middle.
- Place lamb, fat side up in a roasting pan. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large bowl, toss with the oil, 3 tbsp (45 mL) rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove lamb from oven, reduce heat to 350 F (180 C).
- Lay potatoes cut side down around lamb; return pan to oven.
- Roast for 40 minutes.
- Turn potatoes over and brush with pan juices.
- Roast for 15 minutes more or until internal temperature of lamb registers 120 to 125 F (50 C) on an instant-read thermometer and potatoes are browned and crisp.
- Transfer potatoes to a warm platter and let lamb rest, loosely covered with foil for 20 minutes before carving.
- Slice lamb and arrange on platter with potatoes.
Market Meats https://marketmeats.com/